A Little Exploring...




So today I went exploring. THE TRAIN WAS PACKED LIKE SARDINES! And super slow. There were many "whoops'" and "excuse me's" and "pardon me's" being thrown around. Most of them communicated by looks really. I left my apartment in Brooklyn intending on checking out the American Museum of Natural History (the one on night at the museum) but I got off the stop and the line was so looooooong. I decided to wait another day. So instead I got to spend extra time at central park before sundown/cold time. I surfaced on 76th and entered the park after a chap stopped me to talk about human trafficking. I called an audible and treked to Starbucks for a keep-me-warm hot chocolate.When I finally meandered back into the park slopes and lakes and people and rocks greeted me. It was a sight for sore eyes. I'm already missing green. But There is tons of it here in Central Park! Hooray for me! It was beautiful and wonderful and truly a breath of fresh air. My first stop in the park was this little peninsula where you can see across most of the lake with the building playing peek-a-boo over the tree tops. There were pretty little mallards with their emerald heads swimming across the glassy water. So lovely. Then...


Bow Bridge. I loved this bridge. It was so romantic. Like Jane Austen herself wrote it into existence! I really would have liked to sit here a while longer and imagine but there was just so much more to see. And it was a bit to chilly to just sit around. Just around the bend from here is Bethesda Fountain. I was on the steps for maybe 10 seconds when I hear these wonderful sounds. It was voices. It sounded like so many so I followed my wanting ears to the tunnel between the stairs. Five people were standing in a line (it turned out to be a family: two boys, two girls ranging from 12ish to 25ish and a dad). I wish I could put into words what it was like to hear them sing. The guy around 20ish was bewitching. I would rather listen to him sing than John Legend any day and thats saying a lot. It was like the notes drifted from his humble mouth and wrapped gently around your face to hold your attention. They were harmonizing hymns, giving them new life full of joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness and gentleness. And each of them possessed the humility and kindness in their words, their song and their voice. The middle girl came up to me and asked if I wanted a cd. They were $10. I only had $5 so I gave her the $5 anyway and said "I'm sorry I don't have enough cash but I please take it anyway." She gave me a cd and said don't worry about. Super cool. Cause now I can keep listening! I hated to leave the beauty but I felt a little creeperish staying as so many others came and went. I did listen to three songs after all.




The other side of the tunnel called my name. Immediately on the other side I saw a mega sized bubble blower with a girl dancing behind the bubbles getting her picture taken. She was character. Then it was rollerbladers doing tricks. Then almost getting run over by a skateboarder. Then a saxiphone player. Then a dog with a ball. She dropped it at my feet, sweet thing. I threw it for her. Then art booths. Then a walk down 7th to Times Square with lots of lights and people. Then the subway. As I walk down the steps to the platform I hear a soulful, raspy voice of a 40/50 year old man singing sexual healing. He really had a great voice. He then sang Proud Mary. He invited me to sing along. I did! It was fun :) He told me that he thought I looked happy and that he doesn't usually get to tell people that. We chit chatted and his kind words were refreshing. He dedicated a song to me that I didn't quite know but was familiar with, it was sweet and hilarious. Then he sang Ain't No Sunshine, which happens to be a favorite of mine. He was a kind soul. I caught my train back home and now I'm here. Exhausted. And ready for bed and its only 9.  And thats no good because I know if I go to bed I'll just wake up in a few hours bright eyed and bushy tailed. I guess pinterest and coffee will be my awakeness helpers. Wish me luck! Thanks for stoppin' by folks! Miss you TEXAS!

Comments

  1. Loving the pictures and stories Kacey. So proud of you and your adventure!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts